Laura grew up in Lawrence, Kansas, the daughter of a law professor at the University of Kansas. Growing up, Laura was exposed to local politics through her mother who was active in town and served as the President of the League of Women Voters for the state of Kansas while Laura was a child. Laura went on to college at Grinnell College in Grinnell, Iowa and then law school at the University of Iowa. In 1991, she moved to Massachusetts, completing her legal education at Boston University.
Laura settled in Andover in 2002, where she and her husband, Nik, raised two daughters while being very involved in the town and schools. Their daughters received wonderful educations in Andover Public Schools, leading Kate to Williams College (class of 2022) and Sydney to Johns Hopkins (class of 2025).
Laura won her first term on the Andover Select Board in 2017, and served as Chair 2019-20. During Laura’s time on the Board, she has supported efforts that: brought consensus budgets to Town Meeting; supported investments in critical facility projects including replacement of the Ballardvale Fire Station, renovation of the Senior Center, and the “New Town Yard” at Campanelli Drive;; advanced planning and development of the Old Town Yard land; support for the new West Elementary and Shawsheen Preschool; entered into a 99 year agreement to sell water to North Reading to subsidize Andover’s water and infrastructure costs; navigated the Columbia Gas crisis and its aftermath, including financial settlement approved by voters. Importantly, she has also brought civility back to the Board, enabling respectful dialogue that allows solutions to be developed – even in times of disagreement – that benefit the entire community.
Laura has also had leadership roles in Andover schools including, at times, President of three PTOs/PACs (Shawsheen, Andover High, and Doherty Middle School) and membership in School Improvement Councils at three Andover schools (Shawsheen, Bancroft, and Doherty).
Laura was also a member of the Town of Reading Zoning Board of Appeals from 1997 to 1999, participating in and drafting numerous decisions of the Board.
Laura is a practicing civil litigation attorney and has been practicing in Massachusetts for more than 25 years. Her practice is focused on insurance coverage and bad faith litigation, representing both insurance companies and individuals in Massachusetts state and federal courts. She is a partner in the law firm, Sloane and Walsh, in Boston.
- University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City, Iowa (J.D., with distinction)
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts (Spring 1992)
- Grinnell College, Grinnell, Iowa (B.A.)
- Chartered Property & Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) Designation – received in 1999
Professional Activities & Groups
- Boston Bar Association (Chair, Insurance Committee 1997-1999)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association (Director, 2014 to present)
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Chartered Property & Casualty Underwriters Society
- Frank J. Murray Inn of Court
Community & Volunteer Experience:
- Andover Select Board (March 2017 to present, one year as Chair)
- President, Andover High School Parent Advisory Council (2016-2017)
- Vice President, Andover High School Parent Advisory Council (2015-2016)
- Co-President, Doherty Middle School Parent Advisory Council (2012-2015)
- Member, School Council, Doherty Middle School, 2011 to 2015 (co-chair 2012-2013)
- Member, School Council, Bancroft Elementary School, 2009-2011 (co-chair 2010-2011)
- Co-President, Shawsheen School Parent Teacher Organization (2006-2009)
- Member, School Council, Shawsheen School (2006-2009)
- Member, Andover Public Schools Expanded Learning Time District Committee, 2007-2008
- Member, Shawsheen School Expanded Learning Time Committee, 2007-2008
- Associate Member, Zoning Board of Appeals, Reading, MA 1997-1999
- Member, Friends of Memorial Hall Library